My Octopus Agile &Go Tariff analysis website

Using the Agile tariff from Octopus Energy is a great way of shifting usage based on pricing.

With that in mind, the Octopus Agile tariff has really piqued my interest in time of use tariffs using Smart Meters.

Whilst you could grab bits and pieces of historical data from Octopus about ‘Agile’ it was a bit limited. ie it didn’t show all DNO areas and wasn’t complete back to Feb 2018.

So i’ve written a few scripts and pulled all the data in to one place.

• All 30 minute data from all 14 DNOs going to back to the first day of the Agile tariff (Feb 19th 2018).
  • The data also updates at 5pm each day after Octopus have released their next day’s figures.

I’ve then layered Grafana graphs on top so you can visualise the data yourself on my new website.

Plus, there is a Google Spreadsheet with all the historical data on.

I would be interested in people’s thoughts on the project.

What could be done better?
What else would people like to see in terms of graphs?
Is this stuff useful?

I’m hoping to expand the project into their GO tariff as well as their new Agile Export figures too.

Cheers.

That’s really useful. I’ve just started my switch to Octopus and intended to join their Go tariff but I’ll study your data to see if we would be better off on Agile. A monthly graph (like the weekly) would be useful where you can select the month. I’d need to look at the winter months as our PV plus battery storage provides all our electricity requirements for most of the year.

Bob.

Thanks for the comments Bob.

I’d like to add pull down month selectors etc, but its almost impossible because of the way the underlying graphing tool works within a webpage.

And really I don’t want to put 12 separate graphs on each page.

Could you download the data from the Google spreadsheet into Excel or something and create the graphs that way?

Sorry I missed the link to the spreadsheet. Yes I will certainly have a look at that.

Bob.

I have found the Octopus REST API nice and simple and you can get lots of useful data without any authentication. With your account userid pulling in smart meter readings it’s quite easy to build a basic set of usage queries too.

For those wanting to play with consumption data, I would note that depending on how you parse the JSON the timezones for the tariff versus the consumption data is different (but the offset is in the string, you just have to fully parse the date/time).

I am now on their Go tariff as after I got Powerwalls it’s much simpler to have fixed off-peak costs for non-solar top-ups.

I used node-red for both Agile and Go to do “stuff”, and it works well.

Interesting, overnight last night Agile had a low of 3.11p per unit. It was no higher than 6p from midnight through to 6am, then 7p through the most of today.

I think alongside a small battery to get you over the 4pm to 7pm (20p to 23p per unit today) period if solar can’t cover it, this could be a decent option for many people?

I had a good look at the data the other day and think that on balance that the Go tariff is best for me. For most of the year our house runs on PV and battery storage and in the winter the certainty of a 5p off peak rate will allow us to charge the house batteries and our Renault Zoe overnight. Without the battery storage I think Agile would work out cheaper though.

Bob.

I’ve added a simple single page showing what the Go tariff looks like in graph form as well as the current “out of the 5p four hour slot” pricing across the UK.

Electricity pricing was as low as 2.1p per unit overnight. Crazy!

Hi all,

I’m pleased to announce an update to my little home-brew website; Go versus Agile

This was actually a feature request from a user so I was happy to oblige.

There are two new graphs for each of the 14 UK regions.

1. Go versus Agile (00:30 to 04:30 only) for the last 365 days
  2. Last 7 days of full daily pricing from both tariffs

https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-go-versus-agile/

I think if you have an EV then Go seems to win hands down with its fixed 5p for 4 hours each and every day.

If you have Solar PV and/or maybe a battery that can get you over the 4pm to 7pm period then I think Agile could well be the cheaper option?

But everyone has different usage patterns and configurations, so ultimately the decision is up to you.

These ‘time of use’ tariffs in conjunction with smart meters are surely the future of electricity provision?

Hope you are finding this data useful? Please let me know your thoughts etc.

Hoping to add some more features in the coming weeks. Next up I want to look at the new Outgoing / Export tariffs.

Cheers.

In my case my battery is big enough to get me through most days and when it’s not sunny I can charge it from off-peak. Your graphs confirm that Go is definitely the best tariff for me :slight_smile:

Bob.