Is PVOutput.org going to support the new WU API

Looks like the new WUG API is sending out temp readings less frequently as temp changes occur between every 10 to 25 minutes on PVOutput instead of minute measurements with the old API. The WUG dashboard still shows smooth temp traces however. I’ll try Ambient Weather if this does suit me.

Thank you for fixing this. I was dreading having to hack my Davis Instruments device to send the data to OpenWeatherMap. Now I can just transfer my existing key and set it up. Bummer the new API is only integer values for temps but better than nothing.

Cheers for adding support for the new WU API bankstownbloke
very much apreciated

Thanks BB. Much appreciated

Can I just be clear about this please, is this for people who have a PWS? For others, such as myself (whose PWS died a year ago), is there a specific key for access to a registered local PWS? I see several I could use temporarily.

I have a PWS and I have to generate an API key for it to load to PVoutput. So… Yes. You will need a PWS linked to WUG or have a nearby PWS owner that would be willing to share their API key with you. That may be difficult as some PWS owners may consider their API keys as personal as passwords. Alternatively, follow this and see if that would work:

To follow what @gregvet said, the PWS Contributors have a volume limit on API calls that would likely be exceeded if their API key was used by too many folks.

Thank you @gregvet , I got OpenWeatherMap working. Really simple. That will be fine until I get back to having a PWS.

To follow up on the new WUG API. Was easy to replace the original API with the new WUG API. Prior to changing to the new API, my temp traces were smooth following temp changes every 5 minutes. My experience however were coarse temperature traces after the new API change. (See my account from 3/15 through 3/20) The temps would vary over 1 degree from one interval to another and change interval would vary from 5 minutes to as much as 25 minutes.
https://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=28753&sid=26352
Changed to the Ambient Weather API and now my temp traces are back to where it was. Interestingly, my WUG account temp traces are fine but upload to PVOutput is coarse. So… If you have an Ambient Weather PWS or can link your PWS to Ambientweather.net, then this is the way to go with temperature readings plus you can still upload solar radiation and other parameters to extended data with Ambient Weather.

@gregvet - Unfortunately with new API, the temperature value reported is the closest integer. Thus, since PVOutput retrieves data in metric units, each 1 degree change in Celsius results in a 1.8 degree change in Fahrenheit which results in the choppy traces.

If I should go back to the WU API or for those people that has WU as the only option, is there a way to apply the C to F or F to C formulas C = 5/9 (F − 32) or F = 9/5*C+32 like in the Extended Data fields?

I believe that PVOutput does this automatically for you based on your system settings. You only have to apply the formula if you send the temperature value to an extended data field. I only knew that the data is obtained in Metric by looking at the response when pressing the “Test” button next to the API field on the System Edit screen.

Temperature (v5) can be used as part of an extended rule but it is not possible to set its value in a rule.

Note that temperature is always stored in as Celsius. The unit display is set from Account Settings will then convert this to F.

If the source weather device returns F, it will be first converted to C then stored.

We are now using imperial (F) as the source. Its still converted back to C but looks to provide slightly better results.

1 Like

@bankstownbloke Is there a way to convert my pressure readings back to hPa or millibar instead of inHg?

All good, a kind member has sorted this question for me.

For some time the WU API is been supporting the temperatures in decimal places. Both in C and F.
Perhaps an idea to implement?

https://api.weather.com/v2/pws/observations/current?stationId=yourStationID&format=json&units=m&numericPrecision=decimal&apiKey=yourApikey

Mark

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

How did you convert your pressure readings to hPa from inHg? I have the same issue

@ lwsmiser explained how to do this here, many thanks

Weather Underground pressure readings inHg not hPa

To convert your reading of pressure in inHg to hPa you simply set up an equation in your settings for extended variables. The conversion factor 1 inch of mercury (inHg) = 33.86 hectopascals (hPa). Say your choice for displaying air pressure in hPa units calculated from inHg is v11. The WU API will fill in the value as x inHg. To convert the WU value enter the following equation in the box in the extended variables section of your settings. "v11 = v11 * 33.86 ; " the semicolon is not necessary unless you have more than one equation (do no include the quote marks.) You can use the “test” button to verify that the equation is working but DON’T press the “enter” key to complete the operation. It will send you where you don’t want to go. The spaces are necessary before and after each operator ( * and = ) in the equation.