Ambientweather.net - API from Wunderground

Since the Wunderground API may be going away or a new API will be issued to current PWS owners with an existing API, I was thinking about moving away from Wunderground to avoid loss of data linking with Wunderground. Currently, my Wunderground account reports temperature and solar radiation to my PVOutput account. The ambientweather.net website has the capability to generate an API and since it is directly linked to my PWS which is an Ambient Weather station. Could I substitute this API for the Wunderground API under the ā€œEdit Systemā€ page or is PVOutput specifically linked to Wunderground?

Gā€™Day. Iā€™ve had a Wunderground API since I joined PVOutput in December 2015, and my temp and solar radiation are still being sent to PVO. My paid membership expires in February next year.
Funny story about WU - When I first paid for a membership back around 2010, I kept having their ads showing up on my iPad, so Iā€™d send them the screenshot showing I was logged in, but the ads still showed. The first time, they apologised and extended my membership a year. Good!
Somehow, over a several similar instances, my membership ended up extended until 2020. Iā€™ve only paid once, and Iā€™m sure it was less than $10 back then.
Donā€™t know if Iā€™ll pay the $10 next year or look elsewhere.

PVOutput would need to specifically support a new/different weather station provider.

There are no plans in the short/medium term to support new providers unless there is more demand.

I think demand will rise once the Wunderground API actually stops working.
I think a lot of people (like me) are using the API to pull in temperature.
But for me the API is still working atm, but IBM has ā€˜promisedā€™ us it will stop working.
I guess they are disabling free API in batches, being careful to not upset the paying customers.

2 Likes

For Aus, could you grab the 5 minute station data from BOM, then instead of just plotting the daily range, have an option to plot that common data on peoples graphs using the closest weather station setting that already exists?

1 Like

Ive lost my Temperature :frowning:
Please add my vote for a new api site :slight_smile:

1 Like

@gregvet - Can you generate a throw away ambientweather api key and email it to pvoutput@gmail.com please.

Hi Bankstownbloke, I have sent the following correspondence to the Ambient Weather Founder/CEO:
ā€œHi Mr. Edelman, I have been asked by the developer of PVOutput to generate a test API key to see if it is compatible with PVOutput. If I do generate a test API key, will I lose the ability to generate a different API for my own personal use? Thank you for that consideration.ā€
I will let you know the response ASAP.

here is the Ambient Weather Network API Facebook page if it will help you:

Iā€™ll send you both a user key and developer key to the e-mail address.
"I am not sure what he is asking for, but there is a User Key and App or Developer Key.

You can generate both, and as many as you want, here:"

Ambient weather is now supported, it requires an ambient api key and app key.

Ambient

Generate the keys by logging in and going to -

PVOutput

• Enter the api key in Ambient API Key field and the rest of the ambient fields will appear.
  • Enter the app key and click on TEST to check if the keys are valid.
  • Additional weather data may be uploaded to extended data fields.

Valid keys will display some text data in a new window -

1 Like

Do you need to make an account to log on?
If so it asks for the mac addy of your weather unit which I dont have.

I tried without an account and got an api key and an app key. by pressing associated button at bottom of page.
After testing new page comes up saying {ā€œerrorā€:ā€œapplicationKey-invalidā€}
Tried with new keys 4 times :frowning:
If I need an account is there a list of weather station Mac addys for different locationss?

1 Like

This thread says you need your own weather station before it will workā€¦:woozy_face:
Hoping for an easy low cost solution.

Well Ambient does offer some low cost stations with just a simple outdoor thermometer. You donā€™t have to get the stations with the complete monitoring array. Looks like a $75 unit would be the cheapest that has connectivity and reporting to ambientweather.net. So that one would have a MAC address since it has Internet connectivity.

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2800.html
Found this for $29 (US) How do know if they are able to be read by PVOutput?
Thanks Baz

1 Like

This might help you:
https://www.ambientweather.com/ambientnet.html

This station for $31.00 can connect to Ambientweather:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws0265.html

That looks to be the cheapest solution to get a Ambient API key.

Currently only available in the US.
Will search around more for Oz.

Support for openweathermap.org which does not require a personal weather station is in progress -

3 Likes