Support for migration of Consumption only metering to full Solar Ownership

Hi BB, as discussed on WP, it’d be great if there was a nice migration option for folks who spent a substantial amount of time monitoring their power consumption via PVO while building a “business case” for Solar, and then finally getting Solar Installed.

eg I have ~1,600 days consumption recorded prior to getting my solar system installed - as a result my efficiency ratings and rankings after getting my solar system are very poor.

https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=4988&sid=27734

If PVO could provide an option to only calculate solar system efficiency ratings and rankings from the solar install date, it would solve this issue. You could even have some logic to stop ppl gaming the rankings by checking that there is a contiguous period of 0W generated AND continuous consumption data exists for say a minimum of 1 month?

I’d be very surprised if I was the only PVO user that capture my energy usage for a reasonable period of time before getting solar installed. This would save folk from having to “build” a new system in PVO once they got solar installed.

1 Like

so you could start a second system and link it to the first then both sets of data would not be corrupted.
thats what i did with mine.
like if you mix the data from before solar with after solar its then corrupeded and not pure data for either system

I’m familiar with having multiple systems as I have 1 decommissioned system already from my previous house.

Keeping all the data from my new house in one place makes historical comparisons much easier.

I’m not sure why corruption would be an issue? I’ve been a PVO user since 2011 and never seen a corruption issue yet!

it would be nice.
i had my consumption metered for about 2 years before i got solar so in the same boat

there’s so much pvoutput can do that i haven’t even looked into yet like the efficiency ratings
what’s the point in the efficiency rating anyway? to compare how your system is going against another system no matter the size?

1 Like

I also had around 3 months of consumption data before installing the solar system.
I moved (download then upload) those early days to a dummy ‘pre-solar’ system so I could still reference them for comparison, and then deleted those days from the main system so the efficiency measures were comparable.

So I was mucking about in PVO Stats and noticed that the “System Age” is shown there (calculated from the install date) but none of the Solar calculations in the stats actually use it … seems to defeat the purpose of having the install date doesn’t it?

well the system age is used for the system health column calculation,hop this helps

My point was that it’s used inconsistently - just my 2c, but why have it if it isnt used across the board for all solar calcs?

Either use it for everything or dont use it at all and have it as ornamental data …

Another option would be for PVO to start it’s solar calcs from the day a system starts reporting generation data.

1 Like

would be good if solar stats were based off install date. so my solar efficiency was correct.

1 Like

@bankstownbloke any chance of an update on this request please?

Using the install date for ladder kWh/kW calculations maybe an option in the future.

The complexities need to be investigated and would be an opt-in option so that other systems won’t be impacted.

2 Likes

Thank you, that would be fantastic.

would make it easier to compare my system vs my parents

This idea has been implemented by using the average efficiency recorded of each individual daily output, which excludes days with consumption only.

1 Like

Sensational, thanks BB. :sunglasses:

Just a query, is it possible to exclude systems with blatantly erroneous configs from the ladder?

eg this guy ranks #1 for efficiency and reckons he has 1x50 watt panel but is able to crank out 13kWh’s of power:

https://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=21873&sid=21334&dt=20190512&gs=0&m=0

Unless you have an auto-tracking system, there’s no way in hell to get above 8 kWh/kW AIUI.

EDIT: in fact most of the top 10 have BS config’s of single 50 watt panels:

https://pvoutput.org/ladder.jsp?p=0&filter=0&rank=1154&o=gss&d=desc

how does the average kwh work then? as mine is showing 11kWh but im thinking it should be 49.3kWh?