Split rate tariff comparisons

With the introduction of smart meters we may all be faced soon with a dilemma. Is it cheaper to continue with a single rate import tariff or should we move to a high daytime/low night time tariff?
This question is complicated by our solar generation layering on top of our usage.

It would be very good if Pvoutput could provide the facility to show costs and savings for the tariff we currently have (we already have this), and also provide a second set of tariff fields to which we might aspire to moveā€¦ We could then see which one is more financially beneficial.
Just a thought.

I think the feature you are looking for is talked about here:

1 Like

I have been recording my usage as though I have a Time of Use [ TOU ] tariff. Whilst my usage is broken down into the relevant periods: Peak Offpeak and Shoulder, I have used the normal flat rate for each. This way the total $ amount is what I am actually paying. It will also be a simple matter of multiplying the total amount of energy used in each time by the relevant TOU rate. At the end of March I will have a full 12 months of data.

In my circumstances the highest usage is summer ( cooling ) and winter ( heating ). I anticipate that I will be better off on the flat tariff. I do not have any significant electrical load that I can shift to of peak.

I switched to a TOU Rate Plan a little over three years ago. At the time, my Utility had an online tool that let me compare the plan I was on with the TOU plans based on usage over the last year. Since I also downloaded my usage from the utility on an hourly basis and was able to do my own calculation. Both showed similar results which gave me confidence that switching made sense.

After switching plans, I have continued to calculate what my savings/costs would have been under the old Tiered plan that I was on and compared that to my actual costs/savings. The bottom line is that for my usage, switching to the TOU plan has saved me about 17% on my utility bill and increased my total savings by ~30% over the last three years.

Obviously your situation may be different depending on your usage patterns but a historical comparison should be pretty indicative for you.

Thanks to all for your help. When I get the opportunity for a tou plan I will certainly use this method. In UK we seem to have to change suppliers and prices (p/kwh and daily base charge) frequently to maintain the best deal, so compounding that with the different plans is going to be very tough to get any realistic comparison - if only the \uk govt would simplify the offerings we would all be happier - price confusion reigns in UK!.