Powerwall - Extended Parameters

Wasn’t aware, as have always donated - updated.

This was such a huge help for me thanks so much to all contributors, PW installed today, not 100% sure its working as it should but now I have proper data to show me whats happening

Edit
Very happy with the final setup

v7 import, summary change, axis 2
v8 export, summary change, axis 2
v9 SoC, axis 1
v10 Grid, axis 0
v11 Powerwall, axis 0
v12 Solar, axis 0
Standard Parameter Power Consumption

As the import / export value is cumulative its just becomes a flat line on the live graph as I cant work out how to subtract the 12:00 reading but on the daily, weekly etc view its a change value so I get a total of actual import and export and can calculate my actual costs (im not on off peak), be nice to be able to have an auto running total including connection fee but this is brilliant

Those with a PW2 (or even a PW1) should join the Tesla Owners and Friends team (just a suggestion). https://pvoutput.org/ladder.jsp?tid=784

1 Like

Please feel free to post any additional enhancements request to Extended Parameters with PW.

Hi BB, I think you have it all covered off from a PW2 data perspective, I think I mentioned previously that it would be great to have the data from the extended parameters displayed in the 5 minute intervals below the graph. Ideally I’d like the data shown to be configurable (never really paid attention to or used “Normalised” for instance, I’d like to remove it from the list and add % of PW2 remaining. Just some thoughts, thanks again for all of your help and offer such a great service. Happy New Year.

Hi BB, with regards to the scaling issue. I found when I set a min/max for the battery (0-100) and the same for solar generated (0-10000) it fixed the scaling issue.

Hi Bankstownbloke,

Firstly thanks for the great platform, powerwall data is working really well with the integration service.

The ultimate goal for me is to have a real value of cost at any given time, that can be summed over weekly, monthly etc period of time, essentially to reflect my bill. Currently import / export does not consider that the battery is a factor in this so charging the battery is considered export and discharging the battery is import. A few things I have done so far

1. I upload the powerwall lifetime import (site.energy_imported) and export (site.energy_exported) to v7 and v8, on the live graph these are irrelevant as they are an ever increasing number however on the summary I use difference to give me the correct daily total but cant do much more with it
  2. I have entered credit and debit tariffs for the “grid” (site.instant_power) extra data field and this does give me a daily cost however not including the daily connection fee and I cant seem to sum this cost in weekly, monthly views as it does not appear?

What I am considering however it to change “power consumption” to be the “home” - “powerwall” ( load.instant_power -battery.instant_power). Same effect I guess as it would be to set net flag to 1 and upload the real import and export values but as they are lifetime I’d have to do something to convert to a daily value.

This to my understanding would then give the inbuilt import / export values to be correct and any tariff calculations to also be correct. In a way I guess this is actually a valid indicator of the load shifting of consumption. Probably the only downside is app PVOutputpro etc will show only the load shifted consumption. I can however still put the house consumption into its owen extra data field.

I guess what I’m asking is it possible to have another Import / Export model that has consideration of the battery’s contribution?

Just figured I get your thoughts before I start to modify my data.

Thanks

This is preferable to changing the consumption data to arrive at the desired credit/debit amount.

A Net tariff model is calculated at each 5-minute interval as -

Consumption - Generation = Net

• Positive is import * tariff = Debit
  • Negative is export * tariff = Credit

The battery data would need to be uploaded to an extended parameter (e.g. v7) in Wh

Consumption - Generation - v7 = Net

Which can be an option on the extended parameter to allow it be included in the net calculation.

1 Like

Thanks! yes that would be the perfect solution, I will need to run all the data back through to correct it so whatever extra data field you want to use is fine by me

Edit sorry just re-read that, didnt realise the calc was made via energy Wh totals, powerwall gives instant power so i guess another extended data field could become the energy value and net calculated form that?

This can be left as power W and it will convert it to Wh automatically.

excellent, my battery instantaneous data is in V9 but if its selectable even better, very much appreciated

1 Like

Hi pv135 - I was thinking the same thing when I was comparing my retailer data to my pvoutput data but was going to look at it this weekend. Looks like you might have already done the dirty work, can you share by posting your parameter setup? Cheers in advance.

yes mate of course happy to share

heres me
https://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=62806&sid=55875

powerwall,ini is
url=http://xxx.xxx.x.x/api/meters/aggregates
poll=30
direction=in
v8=site.instant_power
v9=battery.instant_power
v10=load.instant_power
v11=solar.instant_power
soc-url=http://xxx.xxx.x.x/api/system_status/soe
soc-parameter=v12

and the extended data parameters are

So to explain the rule v7=-v8 gives me an inverse of the gird graph (I called grid-), I don’t want to see that on the live graph so I have a modifier of ‘divide by 1000’ on it so its so small it doesn’t show on the live graph. The summary of this as w to kWh is only calculated from the values greater than 0 which is the total Export to the grid and the summary of v8 is total import from the grid. I also set V8 CR/DR to debit and in the tarrif section of the settings enter the import and export costs. On the daily summary I then get a cost which does not include the daily connection fee, at least i know if I get to $1.55CR I’m breaking even here. Unfortunately the cost does not sum on the other views (weekly etc) but the import and export values do which I like very much as its a simple calculation to work out the cost of a given period.

Just a side note, Instead of having this grid- graph to generate export I was previously uploading the site.energy_imported and site.energy_exported values from the powerwall and making their summary ''change" but the way i do it now saves me an extra data field.

I have just re-run all my data back through pvoutput (I’m a bit of a nerd for that sort of thing) to get it all lined up after the changes and find that the total of import and export of either method are virtually identical and very much lined up with what my physical meter is displaying.

Will probably have to run it all through again if BB chooses to implement the battery model suggested but would be worth it for a lifetime and accurate import / export.

Hope this makes sense and is some help

1 Like

sorry mean to do it as a reply, see full post above

This feature has been implemented, discussion topic at Extended Parameters - Net Data Calculation

Fantastic thank you, I’ll give it a go and let you know if any problems

Thanks for the development of this capability of PVOutput - it’s great being able track the powerwall’s performance.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a discrepancy arise over the past few days, where the tesla app is reporting a different SOC to what is shown through the api?

It appears that Tesla may have limited the discharge to a minimum of 5% as I have noticed that the past few days have resulted in my PVOutput flatlining at 5% and starting to charge from the grid. Yet when I login to the Tesla app it is reporting 0%. I’ve also checked the custom settings to ensure the reserve is set to 0%.

Just curious if this is an issue unique to my setup or if others have noticed this?

The Tesla app always displays a percentage lower than the actual charge percentage, usually I find about 3% but i’ve not run mine to 0% so it could be stop at 5% actual as well.

PVOutput alters nothing just merely displays the information given to it, which is the actual percentage reported by the powerwall. I believe this is done so the powerwall has a small reserve left in it to restart it in a blackout and “fully” discharged state.

Yep, completely understand that pvoutput is just reporting the extended parameter from the ip address soc link. It’s just that for the first 3 months that figure matched the Tesla app or was within 1% for my setup, so I was just curious if Tesla had pushed a new 5% limit OTA since the change appeared to have occured a couple of days ago.

In fact, wouldn’t have noticed it, had it not been for PVoutput, as previously the SOC would go down to zero on the x axis, but it nows sits above it at 5% when fully discharged.

Don’t think there is anywhere Tesla document changes unfortunately. Mine updated to firmware 1.12.0 about a week ago, as long as I’ve had it its always been a 3% difference