Import doesn't equal consumption on zero generation - problem?

Hi,

My system (ID 27029) has had a failed inverter for the last three weeks so I had zero generation / export.

In this case I would expect import == consumption.

Looking at the daily view, however, I see that import is always less than consumption (seems to be a random value, up to just over 1kW) and, as a result, I also always see an amount “saved”.

This is certainly not accurate.

Any hints on why this might be happening?

Thanks!!

The system is sending data directly via API so you would need to look at the logs of the uploading script to see why it is sending those values.

it isn’t sending those values.

I upload consumption & generation. In this case generation was always 0. “Import” is calculated by pvoutput.org. Should be consumption - 0… but isn’t.

Interestingly, as an example - going in to edit a day, I see:

In “Edit Output”:

• energy generation = 0
  • energy export = 0

In “Energy Usage”:

• Energy used = 46207
  • Import Peak = 0 (weekend, so no peak)
  • Import Off-Peak = 10709
  • Import Shoulder = 35146
  • Import High-Shoulder = 0 (not part of the tariff)

As you can see, used (46207) > off-peak + shoulder (45855)!

In the daily summary I see:

• consumption = 46.207kWh
  • Import = 45.855kWh
  • Saved = $0.13
  • Net = 46.207kWh

Sooo… whilst I’m not exporting any energy, pvoutput still thinks I’m importing less than I’m using, and hence I’m “saving” some energy?

Seems like something’s a bit screwy?

It looks like PVOutput considers the power used during what would be solar production time as self-consumption of solar generation and not as an import because it subtracts the production from the consumption and finds nothing being exported. That logic works only when there is actual solar production.

Not quite – it shows 99.x% of energy used as import… just seems to miss a bit. Question is why, and what does it affect?

Having a closer look at the system config, the Net Interval has been set to 30 minutes

The issue is the last interval 11:30 to 11:55 was not added to the import total since it does not complete the full 30 minute interval.

This has been fixed now to capture the last 25 minutes when using a 30 minute interval setting.

Thanks for reporting this.

Awesome, thank you!!