ESP8266 IOT to Thingspeak to PVOutput upload consumption and production data

Is anyone using the ESP8266 to load data to PVOutput? I’d like to, but my programming skills are woeful!
I’ve been playing around with the ESP8266, a u-beaut MCU that you can buy for less than AU$10. I’ve been successfully loading temperature & humidity data to Thingspeak (You can see the temperature in a Townsville kitchen there, if you are interested :stuck_out_tongue:).
So I’ve looked at uploads to PVOutput, and bumped into a date & time stamp problem. I can upload data to thingspeak, because it doesn’t require date & time. An upload to thinkspeak is taken as now. I haven’t worked out how to access time & date info on the ESP8266 (the UNO time/date functions don’t seem to work. No RTC?). I’m wondering, could I load data to thingspeak, and then get that loaded to PVOutput? Has anyone done this? Or got any ideas on how to go about it?
cheers,
Lee Solar

Have you tried - http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Time

I’ve used that library on the UNO OK. After a bit more reading, it seems the ESP8266 has no internal RTC, unlike the Arduino UNO.

As the 8266 is connect to the internet, why not just ask NIST for the date/time before you send the data to PVoutput? :slight_smile:

I sent data from my panels to PVOutput with a esp8266
Sends every 5 minutes data.
It has one problem: after working weeks well, it suddenly hangs and I must reset it (and manually add the data I missed). I think (nearly sure) this occurs because of my solution to manage daylight saving time.

https://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=54812&sid=49832

1 Like

Hi Rene, would you be able to post your code here, or email me a copy? Much appreciated.

I’m using a ESP8266 (Wemos D1 R2 board) to upload Solar Generation and House Consumption data to PVOutput. I’ve got two kWh sub meters installed into my meter box, both of the meters have a pulse output which I connect to the ESP8266. I then count the number of pulses from the meters to calculate the Watts and Watt hours and upload the data to PVOutput.

For the timestamp I use a NTP server. It takes about 10 seconds or so the first time the ESP8266 starts up to obtain a NTP timestamp from the internet. I then synchronize the local clock with the NTP timestamp and use the local clock to generate the current time when I need it. Once a day I re-synchronize the local clock with the NTP time in case the local clock runs fast or slow.

1 Like

Hi Derek, would you be able to email me a copy of your esp8266 code? Thanks.
rickylee64[at]gmail.com

Hi Derek

Just the setup I am looking for!
Would you share the code?

Thanks

svendssandersen.dk

i have with success used this project

instead of looking at the LED, I uses the S0 output af my meter.

Dear All…
Is there a example code with S0 counter … I am looking for a simple working code For the upload of 1 or 2 S0 counters to Pv output…